Sunday, September 14, 2014

Job and the Jews

Hi,

[The following midrash triggers many questions, of course...]

"Yirmiyahu said: When I ascended to Jerusalem I lifted my eyes and saw a woman seated atop the mountain… 

"Yirmiyah said to her: Your blows resemble the blows of Iyov:
Iyov's sons and daughters were taken from him, and your sons and daughters were taken from you. 
I took Iyov's silver and gold, and I took your silver and gold. 
I cast Iyov into the heap, and I made you a heap of manure. 

"And just as I returned and comforted Iyov, so I will return and comfort you:
I doubled Iyov's sons and daughters, and I will double your sons and daughters. 
I doubled Iyov's silver and gold, and I will do so for you. 
I moved Iyov from the heap, and regarding you (in Yeshayah 52:2) it says, "Shake yourself from the dust, arise, return to Jerusalem"…"

(Midrash, Psikta Rabti 26)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment