Sunday, December 29, 2013

Honouring boundaries in the home

Hi,

"If a man says to his wife, 'I don't want your father/mother/brothers/sisters to enter my home,' we listen to him. She should goes to them if something [requiring a visit] occurs…

"They do not go to her unless something happens to her, like illness or a birth. We do not compel someone to permit others to enter his space. 

"And so, too, if she says, 'I don't want your mother/sisters entering my home, and I won’t live in the yard with them because they harm me or pain me,' we listen to her…"

האומר לאשתו אין רצוני שיבואו לביתי אביך ואמך אחיך ואחיותיך שומעין לו ותהיה היא הולכת להם כשיארע להם דבר... 

ולא יכנסו הם לה אלא אם אירע לה דבר כגון חולי או לידה, שאין כופין את האדם שיכנסו אחרים ברשותו.

וכן היא שאמרה אין רצוני שיכנסו אצלי אמך ואחיותיך ואיני שוכנת עמהם בחצר אחת מפני שמריעין לי ומצירין לי שומעין לה..

(Rambam, Mishneh Torah Hilchot Ishut 13:14)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment