Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Distance yourself from unethical people

Hi,

"He [Chatam Sofer] warned them repeatedly to speak honestly from the heart, to be the same inside and out, and to distance themselves an arrow's shot from people of lies and trickery – even if those who are people of Torah.

"I remember that my father [Ktav Sofer] once told me of a Torah scholar who was also wealthy and the author of a religious text, but who had absorbed heretical ideas and who had the traits of Lavan, humiliating the sages and causing them pain. His holy father [Chatam Sofer] had told him, "Believe me: Whenever that man leaves my home, I take a book of ethical instruction to study, for that man's breath communicates impurity."

(R' Avraham Feigelstock, Toldot Chatam Sofer, pg. 31b)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment