Monday, March 22, 2010

Israel longs for you

Hi,

"Yirmiyah said: When I ascended to Yerushalayim, I raised my eyes and saw a woman sitting atop a mountain, wearing black clothing and with her hair undone, crying out, seeking one who would console her. I cried out as well, and sought one who would comfort me.

"I drew close to her and spoke with her, and told her, “If you are a woman, speak with me. If you are a spirit, leave me.”

"She replied, “Do you not recognize me? I am the one who had seven sons whose father left to go overseas. While I was yet crying for him, it was prophesied to me, ‘The house has collapsed upon your seven sons and killed them.’ I don’t know for whom to cry, and for whom to release my hair!”

"I replied and told her, “You are no greater than my mother, Zion, who has been turned into grazing for the wild animals of the field.” To which she replied and said to me, “I am your mother, Zion.”"

(Midrash, Pesikta Rabti 26)

Have a good day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment