Monday, November 23, 2009

The wings of a dove

Hi,

An interesting passage, on several levels:

"Rabbah bar bar Chanah was traveling in a caravan. He ate, and erred and did not recite a berachah afterward. He said, “What should I do? If I will tell them that I forgot to bless, they will tell me to bless [here], for wherever one blesses it is still for Gd. Better that I should tell them that I have forgotten a golden dove.”

"He told them, “Wait for me, for I have forgotten a golden dove.” He went and blessed, and found a golden dove.

"Why a dove? Because the Jewish people are compared to a dove, as it is written, ‘The wings of a dove, coated with silver, her limbs in finest gold.’ Just as a dove is saved only by her wings, so Israel is only saved with mitzvot."

(Talmud, Berachot 53b)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment