Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Zechariah's Chanukah message

Hi,

From the Haftorah for Shabbat of Chanukah:

"And the angel that spoke with me returned and woke me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep. He said to me: What do you see?

"And I said: I have seen, behold, a Menorah made entirely of gold, with a bowl atop it and seven lamps thereon. There are seven channels leading to the lamps which are on top, and two olive trees next to it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other on its left side.

"And I asked the angel that spoke with me: What are these, my master?

"And the angel that spoke with me told me: Don't you know what these are?

"And I said: No, my master.

"Then he spoke to me, saying: This is the message of Gd to Zerubavel [the political leader of the Jews in Zechariah's day]: Not by might, and not by power, but by My spirit, says HaShem, Gd of hosts. Who are you, great mountain standing before Zerubavel? You shall become a plain; and Zerubavel will bring forth the topmost stone [for the construction of the Temple] amid great proclamations of its beauty.'

(Zechariah 4:1-7)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment