Monday, October 12, 2009

Deceptive business practices

Hi,

"Regarding the verse, 'I have seen evil beneath the sun,' Rabbi Shemuel bar Ami said: This refers to the plots of the wicked, such as those who mix water into wine, bilkiya water into oil ma'is water into honey, donkey's milk into ktaf, kumus into myrrh, grape leaves into pilyon, red dye into brine and vetch into peppers, and using a long arm on one side of a balance and a short arm on the other side.

"Regarding all of these, Rabban Yochanan ben Zakkai declared: Woe is me if I say it, woe is me if I do not say it! If I say it, tricky people may learn these methods. If I do not say it, tricky people may say that the scholars are not aware of their tricks.

"In the end, the sages said, 'For the ways of Gd are straight [the righteous will walk in them, and the wicked will stumble in them.'"

(Midrash, Kohelet Rabbah 6:1)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment