Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy birthday, Moshe

Hi,

In tribute to our greatest leader, Moshe Rabbeinu, whose birthday and Yahrtzeit are both marked today (Tuesday), the 7th of Adar:

"And it was in those days, Moshe grew up and went out to his brethren. He saw their suffering. He saw an Egyptian man beating a Jewish man, from his brethren. He looked here and there and saw no man, and he struck the Egyptian, and buried him in the sand."
(Sh'mot 2:11-12)

"And Moshe returned to Gd and said, 'Please, this nation has sinned a great sin, and made golden idols for themselves. Now, if You will bear their sin - but if not then wipe me out of Your book, that You have written."
"And Gd said: My presence will depart, and I will lead from in front of you. And Moshe responded: If Your presence does not accompany us, do not take us up from here!"
(Sh'mot 32:31-32, 33:14-15)

"Moshe, My servant, is not like others. He is the most loyal member of My house. I speak with him from mouth to mouth, with a direct vision and without riddles; he gazes at Gd's picture. Why were you not afraid to speak against My servant, Moshe?"
(Bamidbar 12:7-8)

"And I pleaded with Gd at that time, saying, 'Master, Gd, You began to show Your servant Your greatness and Your mighty hand; what powerful entity in Heaven or Earth could perform acts like Your acts and Your might? Please, let me cross over and see the good land on the other side of the Jordan, the good mountain and the Levanon!'
But Gd was angry at me for your sake, and He did not listen to me."
(D'varim 3:23-25)

"And Moshe was 120 years old; his eye had not dimmed, and his vitality had not fled...No prophet ever again arose in Israel like Moshe, who knew Gd face to face. For all of the signs and miracles which Gd sent him to perform in the land of Egypt, for Pharaoh and all of his servants and all of his land. And for all of the mighty hand, and all of the great awe-inspiring acts, which Moshe performed before the eyes of all of Israel."
(D'varim 34:10-12)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment