Sunday, June 1, 2008

Yom Yerushalayim

Hi,

In honor of the forty-first anniversary of the reunification of Yerushalayim:

"A song of steps, of David. I rejoiced when they said to me: 'Let us go to the house of HaShem.'

"Our feet stood at your gates, Jerusalem. A built-up Jerusalem is like a city united together, where the tribes ascended, the tribes of HaShem, a testimony to Israel to give thanks in the name of HaShem.

"For there thrones sat for justice, the thrones of the house of David.

"Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; may those who love you prosper. May there be peace within your walls, prosperity within your palaces. For the sake of my brethren and companions, I will say, 'May there be peace within you.' For the sake of the house of HaShem our Gd, I will seek good for you."

(Psalm 122)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

2 comments:

  1. Good morning, I can see some of the challenges in "declaring" a chag of sorts. Is there a meaningful difference between adding Hallel on the one hand and removing Tachanun on the other?

    Take care, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Yes, there is a difference. When I was at YU, the minyan in the main Beit Midrash said both Tachanun and Hallel in order to preserve the halachic structure and sequence of the davening and still thank HaShem for the miracles of the day.

    ReplyDelete